LESBOS West - Pterounta

PTEROUNTA

The village of Pterounta is located in the northwestern part of the island of Lesbos and away from the capital Mytilini by 70 km. It is built between two hills, one on the south side the hill named " Sakis” (of 200 m height) and the other from the north side, named “Babakia” (of 70 m height). Between them there is a distance of about 300 m .The village occupies the space between the hills east- west / length of 700 meters and 200 meters long from north to south. The village has partial views only to the south and southwest side, because of the mountainous area "Keraneia" where the village of Chidira is built.

Pterounta is 16 km away from the sea and from the nearest port of Gavathas and 600 m away from the forest. Neighboring villages are Vatousa, the settlement Revma and Chidira. Further away are Anemotia, Parakila and Agra connected with gravel surfaced roads.

Pterounta is built on the southern slope of the northern hill Babakia with downward slope of 10-20 % in the half part of it and the other half is built on level ground surrounded by other open and forested peaks.

When you get close enough you can see that the village is hidden deep in a valley of a tributary to Voulgaris River. Unseen and so well hidden, the location shows the provision for protection from raiders of the middle Ages. Over the village stands the overgrown pine forest of Livanos.

According to the village elders, originally (before 1918), the village was called Fterounta, named after the plant called «fterga." which grows in the area surrounding the village. Later it took the name of Pterounta.

The oldest houses in the village are built from 1900 onwards, mostly from a mixture of materials: stone, plinths, soil, wood and ceramic tiles. No preserved buildings exist prior to 1900. The houses which give a nice tone to the area are made ​​from a soft local red stone, easily broken, and accented with white joints from lime. In the middle of the village there is a small shrine with a round stone pitched over it, underneath it the river is flowing. Here until 1941 there were four water-powered mills in operation. The Cultural Club of the village works towards the restoration of the village and its cultural identity.

Currently Pterounta has 205 residents, engaged in farming and construction. It collects approximately 250000 kg of olives and there is a modern private olive press that produces the golden treasure of olive oil. There is also some sheep farming – app. 900 sheep.

At the beginning of the century the village also produced chestnuts, pears and other products.  Many of the locals then became “wood merchants” in Smyrna creating comparative wealth for themselves..

Contact us?

By Post

20 The Ridings, Paddock Wood, Tonbridge, Kent, TN12 6YB
OR Vatera - Polichnitos, Lesvos 81 300 - Greece

BY TELEPHONE

+ 44 7831426192 - UK + 30 22520 61120 / 61121 + 30 6945479497

By Email

Email Hibiscus for property throughout Lesbos